Development Project Engineer
MetroConnects (Metro) is a special purpose district, governed by a five-member Commission that operates and maintains 660 miles of sanitary sewer mains within Greenville and Anderson counties in South Carolina. Metro is seeking a successful candidate to fill the available full-time Development Project Engineer position.
Under general supervision, the Development Project Engineer is responsible for providing technical assistance and review in the civil engineering field for sanitary sewer new construction, which includes development project designs and data analysis. Coordinates developer design projects from initial requests for flow and connection sewer system until job completion. Provide quality assurance of asset management and work closely with geographic information system (GIS) staff to assist with updates to the organization’s infrastructure. Reports to the Engineering Manager.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides review of plans for developer-funded projects to ensure compliance with both the organization and South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SC DHEC) Standards and Procedures.
- Maintains files for all developer construction projects; conducts searches for official records concerning the property and utility easements/rights-of-way; calculates impact fees for commercial connections, etc. within the District.
- Develops effective working relationships with developers and engineering consultants.
- Conducts searches for official records concerning property and utility easements and rights-of-way.
- Calculates impact fees for commercial connections, etc.
- Ensures that the design engineer and developer provide all legal and regulatory documents related to a project.
- Assists Engineering staff in acquiring encroachment permits for the County and State.
- Receives and reviews various reports and documents including impact tap fees, capacity study documents, SC DHEC permits, property owner records, utility easements, and rights-of-way.
- Utilize the asset management system to create and complete work orders, child work orders, and tasks to and from other internal departments.
- Coordinates and notifies Engineering Inspectors when a final “Permit to Construct” has been received so field inspections may be scheduled.
- Generates and transmits GIS maps.
- Assists Engineering Director in coordination with GIS, to establish policy and guidance for collection of asset data.
- Assists in the negotiation of contracts, agreements and understandings with developers, regulatory agencies, other governmental agencies, and property owners.
- Interacts and communicates with a variety of individuals and groups to include the Board of Commissioners, co-workers, customers, County and State departments, other wastewater utilities and districts, other utility service providers, contractors, plumbers, developers, consulting engineers, attorneys, etc.
- Performs capacity assurance evaluations.
- Assists in engineering studies, cost estimates, and reports.
- Attends various County meetings as needed to advise managerial staff about proposed developments.
- Operates and utilizes various equipment and tools in the performance of duties including a computer, printer, and motor vehicle.
- Provides assistance and guidance to the general public.
- Performs routine office duties to include email correspondence, mailing letters, making copies, sending facsimile transmittals, preparing and forwarding correspondence, and scheduling inspections.
- Assists with issuing sewer connection permits.
- Attends meetings and workshops and reads technical literature to keep current on related issues.
- Assists other departments as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with two (2) years’ experience in wastewater collection system design and construction is preferred.
- One to five years’ experience in plan review, construction, and/or design experience or related experience with an understanding of basic sewer construction and design; or any equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must possess a valid South Carolina driver’s license.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills (record keeping, time management, follow up, etc.).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and sense of urgency, ability to prioritize with an emphasis on quality and accuracy of work.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory, and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and deal with interruptions while meeting timely deadlines.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work and interact with departments throughout the organization.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
Beneficial Skills and Experience
- Greater than five (5) years’ experience drafting, civil engineering or related experience with an understanding of basic sewer construction and design; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Currently licensed Professional Engineer by the State of South Carolina.
- Strong working knowledge of GIS and Cityworks.
Salary is negotiable based on experience. Metro offers a competitive benefits package including SC Retirement and comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance. No relocation assistance is provided. A background check and drug screening is a condition of employment. Metro also conducts random drug screening during employment.
Resumes may be mailed or dropped off at MetroConnects, 120 Augusta Arbor Way, Greenville, SC 29605 Attn: Human Resources; or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide references. For additional information, please call 864-277-4442.
Metro is an Equal Opportunity Employer.